Unniappam is a traditional sweet of Kerala and made during any festive occasion. Its a combination of rice with banana and spices and its completely gluten free as well. An ebelskiver pan could be used to prepare this dish but batter can also be poured into pancake pans as well. Its a very flavorful dessert item.
Raw rice-2 cups
Jaggery melted(Indian Raw brown sugar)-3 cups
Black sesame seeds-2 tbsp
Coconut pieces-3 tbsp
1. Soak the raw rice in 3 cups of water for 2 hours.
2. In a saucepan, melt jaggery with 1/2 cup of water until it turns completely liquid.
3. In a Vitamix or any other strong blender,grind the rice, cardamom powder, salt together until smooth. Add very little water during this process.
4. Slowly add in the melted jaggery along with the mashed banana until well combined. Transfer this to a bowl, cover and keep it aside for 2-3 hours.
5. In another small pan, add ghee and once hot add in the coconut pieces. Stir until it turns golden brown.
6. After 3 hours, fold in salt, coconut pieces and black sesame seeds into the batter and mix well. Now the batter is ready for the pancake pan.
7. Heat a pancake pan-add a ladle of batter to it and cook on low heat until you start to see bubbles on top. Flip it to the other side for another minute and now unniappam is ready.