Lentils are a staple ingredient in my household. I cook with it to make stews, soups, simple lentil salads, traditional kerala curries like Sambhar, coconut lentil curry and much more. I sometimes crave dosa ( its a rice+lentil crepe). It’s one of my favorite thing to eat any time during the day. Since I’d like to avoid rice, came up with this protein rich version of regular dosa. Here’s a lentil crepe that I love to make when I crave dosa and want to eat it guilt-free plus its delicious. Its green mung beans that I’ve used here along with whole black gram lentils along with some aromatic herbs and spices.
1 small cucumber, peeled
1” piece ginger peeled
2 shallots or 1/4 of an onion peeled
1 Green chilli, stem removed
1 tbsp Curry leaves
1 tsp toasted cumin seeds
2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
1 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
1 cup Moong beans(green lentils)
1/4 cup whole black gram lentils(dehusked) (or Split Matpe beans or Urad dal)
2 tbsp black chickpea flour
2 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves chopped
- Soak the green lentils as well as the whole black gram lentils in 5-6 cups of water overnight or at least for 3 hours.
- In a blender add in all the ingredients except the black chickpea flour and cilantro leaves and grind it to a smooth paste without adding any water. Once mixed well and it starts getting thick, slowly start adding in 1/2 cup water at a time.
- If the batter is still thick, add in another 1/4 cup water until you get the pourable consistency.
- Now add in the black chickpea flour and adjust the water level accordingly.
- Heat a crepe pan and add in 2 ladles of batter in the middle of the crepe pan and slowly go around in a circular motion until the batter spreads evenly.
- Add in the chopped cilantro leaves on the crepe immediately.
- On low heat cook the crepe covering with a lid and until it starts to brown. Using a flat spatula lift the sides first and then turn it over to cook the other side.
- The green lentil crepe is ready to serve. This could be served with a shallot chutney or with a sunny side up egg with fennel leaves.
Note:- Although the cook time is about 5 min, preparation time can go from 3 hours to overnight.