Halwa is one of my favorites since my childhood days. I’ve always had halwas made out of fruits and wanted to try something unique and I came up with a halwa using a vegetable-Beets! This is Beet halwa made with roasted semolina and milk powder and garnished with roasted pistachios and a dust of powdered sugar.
powdered milk(Carnation)-4 tbsp
Semolina (coarse) -2 tbsp
cardamom- 1/4 tsp
pistachios sliced-4 tbsp
Hot water- 1-2 cups
- Heat a pan (low heat) and add 2 tbsp ghee to it. Now add in the 2 cups grated beets. Saute it well for about 20-30 min until wilted and soft.
- Add in 4 tbsp powdered milk, 1/4 tsp cardamom powder and stir well until milk powder is well combined into the beets for about 2 min.
- Now add in sugar. Mix well one more time until well combined with the beets. There will be a soft texture for the beets.
- Now add in the 2 tbsp semolina and saute well for 10 seconds. It’ll start to thicken. Now slowly add in the hot water and stir well to combine.
- Transfer this to flat baking pan or a brownie pan and let it set for about 1 hour.
- Garnish with pistachios on top and a little dust of powdered sugar. Cut into diamonds or squares.Enjoy!